Underwriter - Payment Acceptance
Underwrite and review new and existing Merchant, ACH, and Third Party relationships in accordance with Bank, under Card Brand and NACHA regulations. Act as one of the bank’s primary contacts with third parties to satisfy the Bank’s oversight requirements for payments relationships. Assist the company in identifying imprudent risks, and maintain a safe and sound credit framework for the payment acceptance division.
- Review merchant card processing and ACH applications for completeness. Review daily onboarding files and request supporting documentation to ensure acceptability with Bank policy. Track and follow up on missing or incomplete items with clients.
- Understand how third party business models work for underwriting activities. Participate in credit report review, financial statement analyses and due diligence checks on clients.
- Assess risk exposures and make informed decisions on acceptability of companies. Provide recommendations to mitigate unacceptable risk exposure for new and ongoing relationships.
- Understand, calculate, interpret and apply basic financial and business ratio’s to the evaluation of credit risk.
- Handle escalations in a timely and professional manner. May leverage AVPs of VP of Credit Risk as needed to determine the credit worthiness and acceptability of third party relationships.
- Communicate with merchants and third parties to obtain information and a clear understanding of merchants’ business operations.
- Document all findings and conclusions in accordance with all applicable banking and compliance standards and procedures. Ensure documentation is accurate, clear, and complete.
- Maintain up-to-date records, files, and timetables for future actions as required.
- Conduct all underwriting and review activities in accordance with the company’s policies, ACH program standards and operating procedures.
- Maintain awareness of updates to rules and regulations applying to Visa/MasterCard accounts, NACHA, FDIC, and banking regulations to ensure compliance.
- Develop close working relationships third party partners, underwriters, and internal business leaders to communicate and resolve issues as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree in Accounting and/or Finance or a related field.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of underwriting experience preferably in ACH or Merchant card processing.
- A basic knowledge of credit and financial analysis including ratios and the ability to identify derogatory trends.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Superior customer service skills to work with external business partners.
- The ability to work effectively as the member of a team in a fast paced and evolving environment.
- Excellent organizational skills required to manage workloads within tight time constraints.
- Effective problem solving skills, flexibility and adaptability are needed to prioritize and resolve issues in a timely manner.
The Bancorp is an Equal Opportunity Employer